The deadline for filing income tax returns has been extended to 30 November 2020. Taxpayers who fail to return in due time would be allowed to pay a late-filing fine. Taxpayers filing returns for the 2019-20 fiscal year and the 2020-21 assessment year must clear their income tax liability before the last date in order to avoid penalty and income tax notice. Check on How You Can Reset your Income Tax E-filing Portal Password?
All ordinary Indian citizens under the age of 60 whose gross annual income (excluding the eligible tax breaks) exceeds the Rs 2.5 lakh basic income tax exemption limit are required to file an income tax return. The income tax exemption limit was set at Rs 3 lakh and Rs 5 lakh for senior citizens (between the age of 60 and 80 years) and super senior citizens (above 80 years).
Taxpayers can submit their income tax returns online via the e-filing website www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in. If you have forgotten your password, you can reset it easily with either Aadhaar OTP, net banking login, DSC, OTP e-filing, secret question answer.
Here’s how you can reset your income tax e-filing portal password:
- Visit e-filing website and on Homepage, click ‘Login Here’.
- Click on the ‘Forgot Password’ link.
- Provide user ID, Captch and click on ‘Continue’ to proceed.
- You can further choose either of the five options available to reset the password.
1. Using Aadhaar OTP:
- Select ‘Using Aadhaar OTP’ from the drop-down menu and click on ‘Continue’.
- You redirect to a page where you can confirm your Aadhaar number. Click ‘Generate Aadhaar OTP’.
- Aadhaar OTP generates and sends to the mobile number registered with Aadhaar. User must enter the Aadhaar OTP received and click on ‘Validate’ button.
- On success, the user must enter the new password and confirm the password.
- Click on ‘Submit’.
2. Using net banking login:
- Click on ‘e-filing through NetBanking’ link.
- Select the bank from the list of banks providing the e-filing login facility.
- Login to the net banking account and click on ‘e-filing’ link available on the net banking page.
- User redirect and logged in to e-filing portal. Click on ‘Change password’ from ‘Profile Settings’.
- Enter the new password and confirm and the password.
- Click on ‘Submit’.
3. Upload Digital Signature Certificate:
- Also, Select ‘Upload Digital Signature Certificate’ from the drop-down menu.
- So, User can select any one of the two options provided- New DSC or Registered DSC.
- Also, User must upload signature file generated using DSC Management Utility and click on the ‘Validate’ button. Thus, the DSC validate
- So, On success, the user require to enter the new password and confirm the same.
- Also, Click on ‘Submit’.
4. Using e-filing OTP:
- Also, Select ‘Using e-filing OTP’ from the drop-down menu and click on ‘Continue’.
- So, select ‘Registered Email ID and Mobile Number’ from the drop-down.
- Also, Click on ‘Validate’. e-filing OTPs send to the registered email ID and mobile number.
- So, Enter the e-filing OTPs received and click on ‘Validate’.
- Also, On success, enter the new password and confirm it.
- So, Click on ‘Submit’.
5. Answer secret question:
- Thus, Select ‘Answer Secret Question’ from the drop-down options and click on ‘Continue’.
- Also, Enter the date of birth/incorporation from the calendar provided. Thus, this is mandatory.
- So, select the secret question from the drop-down options available.
- Thus, Enter the ‘Secret Answer’ and click on ‘Submit’.
- So, On success, the user must enter the new password and confirm the password.
- Also, Click on Submit.
Also, Using the above mentioned five methods, one can easily reset the password. Once the password change successfully, a success message will be displayed. So, the user can log in with the new password and file their return.