If you change your residence the first thing you need to do is update your address with your bank and other providers of utility services so that all services start without a hitch. You need address proof to change your code. Aadhaar works as proof of address which requires the first change of address in the Aadhaar card.
In Aadhaar, documentary proof of a change of address was needed earlier. Nevertheless, the Aadhaar body Unique Indian Identification Authority (UIDAI) launched a new program in August 2019, through which you may alter address in your Aadhaar without any documentary proof. Unless you have no clear proof of address, you will still be updating your address in Aadhaar. It is achieved with the aid of an Address Verifier and by submitting an Address Validation Letter request online. An Aadhaar verifier may be a family member, relative, friend, landlord who is willing to give you a proof of his address.
Prerequisite for changing address through Address Verifier
- Your and the Address verifier’s mobile number must be registered with their respective Aadhaar numbers
- Address Verifier and you will be required to get authenticated via One-Time-Password (OTP)
- The Address Verifier must be willing to give his consent allowing you to use his address to be updated in your Aadhaar.
Steps to update the Aadhaar card address without documents:
- Visit UIDAI website https://uidai.gov.in. Under ‘My Aadhaar’ menu, click on request for ‘Address Validation Letter’.
- You will be redirected to another page. Enter your 12-digit Aadhaar number or 16-digit Virtual ID, mention the captcha shown on the screen. Click on ‘Send OTP’.
- Enter the 6-digit/8-digit OTP sent to your registered number and click on ‘Login’.
- Now you share the ‘Verifier Details’. Enter your ‘Address Verifier’s Aadhaar number.’
- The Verifier will receive an SMS with a link on his registered mobile number to give consent for the update. He has to click on the link to receive a second SMS with OTP for verification, enter that OTP, captcha and verify.
- After this verification is done, you will get a Service Request Number (SRN) via SMS. Log in using the ‘SRN’, preview of address will be visible, edit local language (if required) and click on ‘Submit’. Then you will receive the ‘Address Validation Letter’. the same letter along with a ‘Secret Code’ will be sent to the verifier’s address via post.
- Re-visit ‘SSUP’ (UIDAI) website and click on ‘Proceed to Update Address’ link. After that, log in with Aadhaar, select option to ‘Update Address via Secret Code’, enter ‘Secret Code’. Review the new address and click on ‘Submit’.
- Note your ‘Update Request Number’ (URN) shown on screen.
How to update Aadhaar address online with valid documents:
- Go to the Aadhaar self-service update portal and click on the ‘proceed to update address’ option.
- Log in using the Aadhaar number, registered mobile number, and OTP.
- In case of valid address proof, click on ‘Proceed to Update Address.’
- Enter the 12-digit Aadhaar number and click on ‘Send OTP.’
- Enter the OTP and login to the Aadhaar account.
- Enter the new address after selecting the ‘update address via address proof’ option. One can also use the ‘Update Address vis Secret Code’ option.
- Enter the residential address mentioned in the ‘Proof of Address.’
- Select the document type that is to be submitted as address proof and upload the scanned copy of the address proof and click on the ‘Submit’ button.
- Aadhaar update request will be accepted and a 14-digit Update Request Number (URN) will be generated.
It is worth noting that you can use the obtained SRN (Service Request Number) to monitor the status of your request if you have submitted the request for address validation document.